Ph.D. Degree (date of graduation & title of thesis)
(1) A. Ravi
Kumar (Dec. 1999; Far-Infrared Radiative Properties of
Films on Si Substrates).
Chen (May 2001; Thermal Modeling and Analysis of 193 nm
Pulsed Excimer Laser Calorimeters).
(3) Yihui Zhou
(May 2002; Radiative Modeling in Rapid Thermal Processing for
Accurate Wafer Temperature Measurement).
Shen (Dec. 2002; Investigation of Bidirectional
Reflectance and Transmittance of Rough Silicon Wafers).
Current Position: Manager, R&D Center, Epistar Corp., Hsinchu, Taiwan.
(5) Qunzhi Zhu
(July 2004; Modeling and Measurements of the Bidirectional
Reflectance of Microrough Silicon Surfaces). Current
Position: Professor, College of Energy and
Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai University of Electric
Power, Shanghai, China.
(6) Ceji Fu
(Nov. 2004; Radiative Properties of Emerging Materials and
Radiation Heat Transfer at the Nanoscale). Current Position:
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanics and Engineering Science,
Peking University, Beijing, China.
(July 2006; Radiative Properties of Silicon Wafers with
Microroughness and Thin-Film Coatings). Current Position: Assistant Professor, School of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kookmin University, Seoul, South Korea.
(8) Keunhan Park
(May 2007; Thermal Characterization of Heated
Microcantilevers and a Study on Near-Field Radiation).
Current Position: Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical
Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
(May 2007; Rigorous Modeling of the Radiative Properties of
Micro/Nanostructures and Comparisons with Measurements of
Fabricated Gratings and Slit Arrays). Current Position:
Professor, Department of Power Mechanical Engineering,
National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
(10) Bong Jae Lee (Dec. 2007; Fabrication and Analysis of Multilayer Structures for Coherent
Thermal Emission). Current Position: Associate Professor,
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, Korea.
(11) Soumyadipta Basu (Dec. 2009; Near-Field Radiative Heat Transfer at Nanometer Distances).
Current Position: Process TD Engineer, Intel Corp., Chandler,
Wang (Dec. 2011; Study of the Radiative Properties
of Aligned Carbon Nanotubes and Silver Nanorods). Current Position, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN.
Wang (Dec. 2011; Role of Magnetic Resonance and
Wave Interference in Tailoring the Radiative Properties of
Micro/Nanostructures). Current Position, Assistant Professor, School for Energineering of Matter, Transport & Energy, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
(14) Andrew NcNamara (Dec. 2013; Characterization and Measurements of Next Generation Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Based Thermal Interface Materials). Current Position: Senior Product Development Engineer, Thermal Mechanical Packaging Engineering Group (TMPE), Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), Austin, TX.
(15) Trevor J. Bright (Dec. 2013; Infrared properties of Dielectric Thin Films and Near-Field Radiation for Energy Conversion). Current Position: Thermal Analysis Engineer, Fluid Mechanics Department, the Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, CA.
(16) Richard Z. Zhang (Dec. 2015; Investigating the Far- and Near-Field Thermal Radiation in Carbon-Based Nanomaterials). Current Position: Member of the Technical Staff, Spacecraft Thermal Department, The Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, CA.
(17) Jesse I. Watjen (May 2016; Study of Radiative Properties of Thin Films and Near-Field Radiation for Thermophotovoltaic Applications)
(18) Xianglei Liu (May 2016; Tailoring Thermal Radiative Properties and Enhancing Near-Field Radiative Heat Flux with Electromagnetic Metamaterials). Current Position: Professor, College of Energy and Power Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China.
(19) Bo Zhao (Dec. 2016; Thermal Radiative Properties of Micro/Nanostructured Plasmonic Metamaterials Including Two-Dimensional Materials). Current Position: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Stanford University.
M.S. Degree (date of graduation & title of thesis)
(1) Brian C. Johnson (December 1997;
Heat Transfer Analysis and Modeling of a Cryogenic Laser Radiometer)
(2) Dave Pearson (August 1998;
Analysis and Modeling for Future Development of Cryogenic Radiometers)
(3) C. Alan Canfield (May 1999;
Diesel-Water Emulsion Combustion on Diesel Engine NOx Emissions)
(4) Ferdinand Rosa (May 1999;
Radiation Environment in the Lower Chamber of Rapid Thermal Processing Furnaces)
(5) Yu-Jiun Shen (May 1999;
Modeling and Analysis of Absolute Radiometers Designed for Solar Irradiance
(6) Jorge L. Garcia (May 2002;
Measurements for Rapid Thermal Processing)
(7) Linxia Gu (August 2002;
Stress Analysis During Rapid Thermal Processing)
(8) Vinh Khuu (May 2004;
Properties of Thin Films with Rough Surfaces Studied with Fourier-Transform
(9) Qinghe Li
(May 2008; Light Scattering of Semitransparent Media).
Current Position: Senior Engineer, Cummins Fuel Systems, Cummins
Inc., Columbus, IN.
(10) Trevor J. Bright (August 2009; Non-Fourier Equations in Solids Analyzed from
Phonon Statistics). Continued for Ph.D. study at Georgia
(11) Ahmad Haider (August 2011; Application of Rigorous Coupled-Wave
Theory for Studying Radiative Properties of Micro/Nanostructures
and Silver Nanorods on Gratings)
(1) Kristopher Stryker, Highest Honors Thesis,
(2) Phillip Behling, Independent Study, Spring
(3) Adam J. Suydam, Highest Honors Project,
(4) James Miller, Higher Honors Thesis, Summer
(5) Sunny Sin, Highest Honors Thesis, Summer
2001 and Fall 2001
Bryson, Fall 2005-Fall 2006
Shields, Spring 2007
Andrew King, Spring 2007
Chow, Fall 2008
(10) Chuyang Chen, Summer 2016
(1) Yue Liu, 2008
(2) Hong Ye, 2011-2012, University of Science and Technology of China
(3) Yong Shuai, Harbin Institute of Technology
(4) Atsushi Sakurai, 2013-2014, NiigataUniversity
(5) Junming Zhao, 2013-2014, Harbin Institute of Technology
(6) Qiang Cheng, 2014-2015, Huangzhong University of Science and Technology
Visiting Ph.D. Students
(1) Han Wang, 2011-2012, Harbin Institute of Technology (currently Nanjing Tech University)
(2) Zhaolong Wang, 2016-2017, Zhanghai Jiao Tong University